Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve. Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age. ~Carrie Latet

I begin this post with this quote, because beging my first Christmas away from home, I foolishly thought that since I was in my own place and sleeping on a bed, I would get a better night's sleep than I had in years. But I was wrong! Christmas Eve I went to a candlelight service at an International Lutheran Church (which was nice, but different) with some friends. When I got home I was so excited that Christmas was here I decided to pack my little stocking (chocolate and tangerines-yum!) and phone home. An hour later I was sitting on my bed with a candle lit, singing Christmas carols (some traditions are harder to abandon than others), feeling content

and peaceful even though I am so far from home. I had no sooner fallen into a deep sleep when I was rudely awakened by my telephone ringing. Stacey and family wanted to say thanks for the presents I sent them and wish me a merry Christmas (at 2am my time). Next my alarm clock rang (I forgot to turn it off) and then the construction workers began hammering and clanging things around outside my window. And so, I experienced another short night of sleep on Christmas Eve!
My friend Megan kindly hosted a group of us for Christmas breakfast (muffins, banana walnut bread, yogurt, tangerines, "toasted westerns"--basically scrambled eggs in a toasted

sandwich, and of course chocolate and maple fudge--thanks to Mike), gift opening--from our families and we did an exchange, and finally a Christmas movie. It was a wonderful relaxed Christmas morning and we even wore our pyjamas! In the late afternoon I rested before heading to the Crane family's house on the military base for Christmas evening of dessert and games. They are my Sunday School teachers from church--a family of 7 children with the 8th on the way! I enjoyed playing dutch blitz with Evan (age 5) as my partner and it was fun to watch all the children (and their cousins) open a present.

And so, even though I was far from home, I still experienced some of what I love about Christmas: a candlelight service, opening presents, eating a late breakfast, enjoying family times, and spending time with loved ones.
God is good and I am thankful for his gift to us so many years ago.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
(or as they say in Korean: 그리스마스를 축하합니다 & 세해 복 많이 바드세요!)
1 comment:
Thanks Jackie-good to laugh about your sleepless Christmas Eve! Cute pics too.Love ya, xoxoMom
Post a Comment