Friday, April 13, 2007

quarterly update

"My, how time flies"... let me see if I can fill you in on what happened in the past 3 months...

1:January-I taught phonics to 2 groups of 10 students during winter vacation (a fun but somewhat challenging experience)




-I learned how to cook some Korean food




-I met new friends and hung out with old friends

-I went ice fishing




-I learned taekwondo




2:February --was an insanely busy month!!!
-I got my hair straightened




-I went hiking




-I met up with Jon & Becky Stymiest






-End of the school year (grade 6 graduation)
-Mom & Mike visited and we traveled all over South Korea enjoying one another's company, seeing new places and tasting delicious foods. Some highlights being: Jeju Island, The Last Empress musical, and dinners with kind friends. Some trials being: Mom spraining her ankle and me leaving Mike's new camera on the subway. Although quarters were quite tight in my room, I was very sad to say goodbye and had a difficult time adjusting back to my usual life.




3:March--the start of a new school year (and a new co-teacher)
-I went on a weekend trip to Mokpo (South-West) and saw a pottery museum and a sculpture park
-I celebrated St-Patrick's day with friends (learned a little bit of Irish dancing and tried Guiness beer for the first time




-I watched part of the Seoul International Marathon (40km, 22,000 participants)




-I had an evening out with grade 6 teachers (supper, then beer bar, then karaoke, then another beer bar....got home at 1:30am)




-I went to a Korean wedding (in a wedding hall--sort of like a wedding factory, but the traditional ceremony was interesting--although mostly for pictures...usually only the groom's family is present, but being the foreigner I got to watch too)




-I went to Jinhae (South-East) with a group of friends for a cherry blossom festival. It was a little rainy, but the number of cherry trees throughout the town was truly spectacular!




4:April --and now this month is half over!
-So far I've started studying Korean a little more intensely and am understanding more and more.

-I went to a Jehovah's Witness memorial service for Jesus's death--another interesting experience




-I celebrated Easter at Megan's place--we had ham, chicken, scalloped potatoes, veggies, buns and a chocolate strawberry pavlova for dessert! YUM! We also died some eggs.




-I did my taxes--a somewhat tricky endeavor




-I have some birthday parties to attend and I'm going to enjoy a pottery-making experience next weekend.

So, as you can see there is rarely a dull moment here in Seoul--and there is still so much more that I would like to do!

If you want more specific details about any of the above events, send me an e-mail and I'll be more than happy to fill you in and/or answer any questions you have.

No comments: