Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Training/Orientation

I can't believe I left home exactly one week ago....so much has happened since then! I wanted to give you a little update about training before I move to my appartment and not have such convenient (and free) access to the internet.
There are 146 teachers here from all over--primarily U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, Ireland, South Africa. We have been attending sessions/workshops about culture shock, korean language, classroom management, methodologies etc. On Sunday we had the privilege of learning a Korean traditional dance and sulmanori (traditional drums). I have been having a good time and am really enjoying getting to know my roommates. I hope to keep in touch with them after training is over.
I am doing my best to adjust to the spiciness (although some would argue) of the food. I started off having kimchi only once a day, and now I'm up to 2 and sometimes 3 times a day! I have also tried octopus, squid, very small fish with peanuts, and other assorted vegetables and meats. However, all this food has only been offered at the hotel/resort, so I don't know if I can make a realistic assessment.
Well, as there are only 2 computers available for the 146 of us I shall finish up this blog and hopefully give you another update in a week or two!

1 comment:

Cora said...

Jackie Jackie, you must teach me that korean dance you have learned. I am so excited. so make an effort to remember ok?