Friday, September 01, 2006

This is my home

I am now settled in to my new home. I am living in a co-op

residence along with approximately 20 other English teachers. It is located in central Seoul near the Dongdaemun baseball stadium and many large shopping malls. I went with a few other teachers last night to wander around the area. It was so busy! People and cars everywhere, flashing neon lights, street vendors, concert stages, music blaring...I had a little bit of sensory overoad and became suddenly quite exhausted. I am very close to the subway and have yet to discover a grocery store nearby, but am generally happy with where I am.

The key word in describing the place is residence...it really can't be called an appartment. I feel a little bit like I am in a dorm room with the luxury of a sink, microwave, shower/toilet area. At least it will be easy to keep tidy! As you walk in the door, there is an entry/kitchen area (about the width of the door) where I have a small cupboard for my shoes on the left and an electric burner, sink and microwave on the right (with some cupboard space above and below). Next you step up into my living area, which consists of a queen sized bed, desk with LCD tv (looks like a computer monitor) and large wardrobe/cupboard unit. My bathroom is a toilet, sink (the size of a small mixing bowl), medicine cabinet, and shower hose up in the corner. I have just about everything I need (except for an oven to make brownies!) and am happily typing on a borrowed laptop from my school with as much internet as I want for a monthly fee of 25,000 Won.

Here are some pictures from the website *note this is NOT actually my room*



View of kitchen from doorway-->
(note large cupboard/wardrobe after the microwave and then the chair at the desk space)



View of bed (which is opposite from the desk) -->

Living in the residence also means I get some services provided to me. There is a fitness center in the basement, cable TV, internet connection, air conditioning, movie night, coin laundry, and housecleaning twice a month. All this for approximately $155.oo a month (but I don't pay rent).
I am happy.

2 comments:

Sue said...

thanks Jackie, for the call Fri.-and the great pics on your super good informative blog! I tried to call this A.M. and got your co-op-ering machine but even if I press 1 for English nothing happens.-oh well-at least I got to your blog all by myself! Love you!xoxo-mom

Anonymous said...

I thought of you all day as you had your first day on T.V. at school. jennie and Kevin are packing and Aaron just arrived with his stuff and his parents so gotta go-love you xoxo mum