Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Bukhansan hike


Well, I've finally managed to get some photos from a friend and put them on the blog. So here is a pictoral account of my hike in the light rain at Bukhansan National Park on Sept. 9. (I'm sorry about the layout, I'm still adjusting to getting pictures to be where I want them to be)



From left to right: Bob, Megan, Me, Candacee, Amy
(they all teach at middle schools)
This was one of our first look out points. We had a few snacks and enjoyed the drifting clouds while slowly getting chilled to the bone.



Then we got a little higher and began to get multiple views of the enormous and sprawling city of Seoul. It just wrapped all around the park!




However, our main quest was to reach the "castle gate"--one of the only English titles on the signs we were seeing. Although we did buy a map, it was a little tricky determining where exactly we were and where we were heading. However, along the way we had some pretty fun terrain to hike and some exciting views.





We were thankful for the ropes provided along this particular section of the trail as the weather conditions made for somewhat precarious footing!



Finally, after about 3 hours on the trail (probably a good hour of that involved stopping to ooh and ahh over the view), we found the castle gate....and the wall of china?!?
Haha! Actually this wall went on for a long time and was part of the fortress to keep out the enemies from getting hold of the han river basin.










Here is a picture of me at the gate and a description of the fortress.

And so, that concludes my entry on my first hike in South Korea. I am very happy to have found other people who love hiking as much as me!

3 comments:

Sue said...

wow! hello sweetie says dad and what beautiful pictures of your hike-please thank whoever took them-says mom.We had fun helping Stacey empty the last of the house and loved the time with the kids-Cora and Jen call me often and I'm glad you are in touch with them-sure do miss my jelly-bean though! If I didn't think you were asleep I'd callright now! love you xo mum

Carolyn said...

Hi Jackie
Great photos ... I'm glad you're getting in some hiking while the weather is good ... makes you feel like home, doesn't it? How cold will it get there in the winter? Certainly not like Quebec with the cold and snow??
Looking forward to more updates.
Bunny

Anonymous said...

Jackie Darling. since when did you ask me if you could take my live green shirt to Korea??? i don't remember lending it to you permanently. but, i must admit, i am glad to see it being used. i love you.